The first day of summer is right around the corner, so say goodbye to 1:00 am cram sessions and say hello to weekend getaways, exploring new places, and warm summer nights! No matter what your summer has in store, there are plenty of simple steps you can take to reduce your footprint. Read on to learn about Turning Green’s tips for a sustainable summer!
Food for thought: according to Nature Climate Change, the travel sector accounts for as much as 8% of global carbon emissions. One trip across the United States can generate as much carbon as 20 percent of the greenhouse gases a car emits over an entire year. While there are many great parts about traveling, it is important to reduce our footprint wherever possible!
In order to help our beautiful planet, here are 7 Tips for a Sustainable Summer Trip:
Healthy Hydration For You And Our Planet
Treehugger reports that 1,500 plastic water bottles are used every second in the United States alone, and only around 30% of them are recycled. The remaining 70% of plastic bottles will go straight to landfills and find their way our oceans, breaking down into small pieces that can take over 1,000 years to biodegrade. Reusable water bottles are worth over 200 single-use bottles – imagine how much waste you could save by investing in one. We personally love Klean Kanteen’s reusable bottles. Click here to check them out!
Stay Safe From the Sun
Sunscreen is a necessity for a summer day to avoid skin damage, but did you know that most sunscreen brands contain a dangerous chemical called oxybenzone? According to EWG, this chemical is not only proven to be bad for your health but it is also harmful to coral reefs and marine life. An alternative? Look for a sunscreen that is natural and organic as this will lower your environmental impact and help protect your own health. Check out this past blog post for more information!
Explore Your Home
Okay, let’s be honest. The turquoise water in Greece, the cute coffee art in London, and the beautiful architecture of Paris will all look REALLY good on your Instagram, but what is better than exploring your own home? After all, I bet that there are plenty of hidden gems that you have yet to explore! Try a “staycation” and explore where you live – look for local concerts, hikes, exhibitions, farmers markets, cafés, and beaches. Not only will you be saving carbon emissions, but your wallet will thank you too! Bonus points if you try walking or biking instead of driving.
A Day For Good
What’s worse than venturing outside to enjoy nature and all you see is other people’s trash? Instead of leaving the trash for nature, make a day out of doing something positive for the world! Go to the beach, on a hike, rock climbing, whatever is your favorite summer outdoor activity is, and pick up trashthat doesn’t belong in nature. The environment and your surrounding community will thank you!
Picnic With Environmental Awareness
Who doesn’t enjoy a picnic on a nice summer day? Pack your favorite organic foods in reusable containers, and enjoy a nice meal with a friend or summer love! Here at Turning Green, we love to use U-Konserve’s containers and utensils when we pack food for a day in the sun.
Buying local food is a great way of supporting a healthy planet as it not only reduces food miles but also encourages healthy farming practices. Before you go, make sure you know what foods are in season. Not only will this help you find what is produced locally, but it will also point you to the juiciest and freshest fruits and greens on the market!
Choose Souvenirs With a Grain of Salt
Souvenirs may seem interesting in the moment of traveling, but remember to consider if you will actually put it to good use once you are back home. Another important thing to remember is to check where the souvenir actually came from. Often, cheap, imported gimmicks will be advertised as local. If you choose to buy souvenirs, consider buying from a local artisan to support the community.
Now that you have some sustainability tips and tricks, get out there and explore! Don’t forget to tune in next week for some delicious summer recipes and ideas on how to shop organic food when you’re balling on a budget.