Introducing Green Thursday, Turning Green’s New Back to School Initiative
While you’re soaking up some much-needed summer rays, the back to school season is right around the corner.
We recognize how important it is to start off the school year feeling totally equipped to take on the world. But the sad reality is that so many popular back to school products aren’t doing you – or the planet – any good. In fact, the vast majority of conventional items are laden with harmful ingredients, swathed in layers of wasteful packaging, and produced using unfair labor practices.
The National Retail Federation predicts that this year’s back to school shopping will spike ten percent from last year, totaling a whopping $83.6 billion in spending. That’s right: $83.6. Billion. And most of those products are taking a significant social and environmental toll.
Even with the best of intentions, it can be difficult to distinguish between conventional and conscious brands. So what’s a back to school shopper to do?
Enter Green Thursdays – Turning Green’s brand new back to school initiative, designed to help you put your dollars toward eco-friendly products with a positive impact. For your purchasing pleasure, we have curated a checklist of some of our favorite conscious brands in the following ten categories:
- Body: Everything you put directly on your body, including shower gel, deodorant, toothpaste, and more.
- Clean: Most cleaning products contain VOC’s (volatile organic compounds, such as ammonia), which contribute to indoor and outdoor air pollution. Not the case with our preferred brands!
- Home: From desk lamps to houseplants, our list will help you make your living space as green as can be!
- Study: Hit the books with 100% post-consumer recycled notebooks, eco-friendly backpacks, and tech galore.
- Eat/Drink: Our list of FLOSN (fresh, local, organic, seasonal, non-GMO) snacks and meals makes it easier than ever to nourish the body and mind.
- Bathe: Ethically made towels, toilet paper and shower shoes will help green morning and evening routines.
- Active: Healthy body, healthy mind. Gear up with some of the greenest brands in the business, featuring activewear, yoga mats, and more.
- Sleep: Cotton is one of the most pesticide-laden crops on the planet. You’ll sleep well knowing your sheets, pillowcases, and PJ’s are 100% organic cotton.
- Zero Waste: Reusable water bottles, food containers, and utensils make it easy to eat on the go without creating waste.
- Wellness: Maintaining your wellness is the key to crushing it at school. Herbal supplements, natural pain relievers, and essential oils will help you feel your best all year round.
As you curate your living space this year, we encourage you to buy less and shop smart while using Turning Green’s new Back-to-School Checklist as a guide. You can assess your personal footprint and take practical steps to reduce it. Look for labels like USDA Certified Organic, Non-GMO Verified, Fair Trade, and 100% post-consumer recycled, as well as items that are second hand, recycled and upcycled. If you have to buy new products, consider our checklist your comprehensive guide to supporting businesses and companies that are doing right by people and planet.
Download TG’s Back-to-School Checklist here.
Choosing these products over conventional brands means voting with your dollar. It means carving out a bigger piece of that $83.6 billion pie for conscious goods. It makes a statement that you care as much about what you’re putting in, on and around your body as you do about how those products impact your community, and the earth as a whole.
For the next six weeks, our Conventional to Conscious blog will highlight each of these ten categories, with tips about why, what to look for when you’re shopping and spotlights on some of our eco “hero” partner brands. Starting tomorrow (Thursday July 27), we’re teaming up with industry leaders to help you and students across the country transition from conventional to conscious living with our #GreenThursday Giveaway. With your support, we will make this the greenest back to school season ever!
Stay tuned to TG’s Instagram (@turninggreenorg) — every Thursday morning at 8 a.m. PT, we’re gifting a fabulous Back-to-School #GreenThursday Giveaway (valued at more than $300). The first giveaway (Thursday, July 27) will feature the conscious products listed below. Like our Giveaway post and tag a friend, and you both could end up winning a #GreenThursday Essential Back-to-School Package. Check out our Instagram first thing tomorrow and enter to win!
Acure Ultra Hydrating Shampoo & Conditioner, Sunscreen, Coconut Argan Oil Wipes. Clif Bar Chocolate Hazelnut Butter Filled Bars, “Raising the Bar” book. Dr. Bronner’s Peppermint Pure-Castile Soap, Lavender Pure-Castile Soap Bar. Sambazon Jungle Love Organic Amazon Energy Drink, Acai Bracelet, One Free Superfruit pack or sorbet coupon, Born of the Amazon Tote Bag. Natracare Organic Cotton Tampons, Cleansing Make Up Removal Towelettes, Drawstring Bag. Patagonia Provisions Organic Apricot + Almond Bar, Creamy Banana Breakfast Grains, Red Bean Chili. Guayaki Fair Trade Organic Loose Leaf Mate, Pre-Colombian Gourd & Bambilla. Klean Kanteen Stainless Steel Insulated Tumbler (16 oz), Stainless Steel Straws, Insulated Classic Water Bottle (20 oz). Annie’s Organic Bunny Fruit Snacks, Organic Shells & Real Aged Cheddar. Everyone Essential Oils (Balance), Lavender +Aloe Lotion. U Konserve Sqaure Nesting Trio, Bamboo Utensil with pouch. Numi Organic Aged Earl Grey Tea. RW Garcia Sweet Potato Crackers, MixtBag Tortilla Chips. Boll & Branch Cabana Beach Towel. Son for Men Shave, Lotus Moon Papaya Enzyme Mask, Plain Jane Sheer Translucent Finishing Powder. Pongcase Radiation Protection Case. Full Circle Home Stick em Towel. Green Shield Organic Surface Wipes.
Want to dive more deeply into living green this Fall? Sign up now for Project Green Challenge 2017 starting on October 1: https://projectgreenchallenge.com/